Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Fast Food Fast for the NON-Cook


So a new year has begun and I refuse to utter those three words. You know those words that describe what you plan on losing, quitting, giving up, taking up, not spending, saving, doing, or not doing. Yeah, those things that statistics show many of us only stick to for about a week or two at most.

I do however have a plan for me and my family to practice for the next 30 days. My husband and I agree that we've spent way too much on eating out. How much is too much? How about $3000 or rather $3148.26 to be exact? To some  that may seem like a drop in the bucket, others may think "Holy Cow!".  That was actually my reaction. Tallying up how much we've spent in one year's time at McDonalds, Sonic, Subway, Taco Bell, Taco Cabana, Popeyes, KFC, Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Wendy's, Pizza Hut, Mr. Gattis and many other places was a shock to the system. Kind of brings a whole new meaning to the phrase "It really adds up". Hell, that money could have made for a nice family vacation somewhere.

As a result my husband and I have come up with a simple idea, a fast food fast for one month. I just hope executing that plan will be simple too. We're keeping the house stocked with as many snacks and easy to prepare meals as possible to keep the temptation of eating out at bay, even if that means making several trips to the grocery store right now.

So why am I sharing this? I don't know. Maybe to keep myself accountable, to elicit some mental support and positive energy from my social network, or maybe even inspire another family who is experiencing the same thing as mine. And what happens after the 30 days? I don't know that either, my goal is to take it one day at a time and to accept store bought cheese enchiladas instead of the ones at the Mexican restaurant down the street, at least for the time being.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

FavorCakes by Erica Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template In collaboration with fifa
Cake Illustration Copyrighted to Clarice